Wednesday, October 9, 2019

A Port In The Storm...

Yesterday was Port day! This signals the beginning of the Chemo assault on my body. Whee!! Once again, I go to the wrong entrance of the hospital (St. David's Round Rock). I'm becoming good friends with the gal in outpatient surgery who, for the second time in a row, had to take me to the correct place for check-in. One of these days, I'll get it right. Meanwhile, hubby and I will welcome the extra steps to get where we should have gone in the first place.

They put me out for this one, but I was awake for all the operating room prep stuff. Pretty interesting place. Computer monitors everywhere. I thought this was going to be me, my doctor, and the nurse. Nope. We had a party going on! There was me, my nurse with the happy juice, some girl that did a quick ultrasound scan to have a pic of where the doc needed to go. She disappeared into another room and would then talk to us via intercom. Asked about the instruments we had on hand.There was another guy who never said a word. Couldn't figure out his role in all this. I never saw him do anything except walk around with a stern look on his face, and then he disappeared into the "intercom" room. Still no doctor.

There was also guy that seemed to be in charge of the room, Jason. I say that cuz he picked the music and you have to be in charge to pick the music. It was the Pandora Jim Croce channel. Never heard any Jim Croce while I was in there. I heard Eagles, Steve Miller, Fleetwood Mac, and a few others. Jason and I played name that band until the happy juice kicked in. I beat him every time. Youngsters don't stand a chance against an old woman and the classics of the 60s and 70s. Jason also built a "tent" over my head before the procedure started. Not sure why since I was going to be off in the clouds somewhere. Oh well.

Procedure done, I get my first copy of coffee for the day, and we head home so I can go back to sleep. Heaven!!  And then I wake up.... I felt like I had been hit by a linebacker on my right side. I'm not gonna lie …. it hurt! Still hurts today, just not as bad. They say it takes a couple of days before the pain subsides. Just hope it isn't hurting when they use it for the first time on Friday.

I am adding a page about the port for those that are curious. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...