Saturday, October 19, 2019

Help Arrives!

My sister Cathy is in town. Knowing my lack of culinary skills or knowledge of what I should be eating versus what I do eat, her focus is to cook some amazing, healthy meals that will last Mike and I for the week. Then she will come back and do it again next week! How did I get so lucky? Did I mention my sister is a gourmet cook?
,
Before we head to chemo, Cathy and I hit the store to purchase all the healthy stuff we need. I drove the cart … that's how useful I am in the store, other than pointing out where stuff should be. I tried to hit the cookie aisle; big sister was having none of that! Bye cookies (see why I need my sister here, saving me from myself)!

We fill the cart up with fresh fruit, veggies, salmon, pork, and whole chickens, all the ingredients needed for her planned menu. I was surprised that the cost was less than what Mike and I typically spend every week. Those of you that eat healthy are probably saying "Duh"!

After we get home and put up groceries, we have time for some breakfast. Once again,
Cathy is taking charge. She fixes frittata. I had no idea what frittata is. For those in a similar culinary fog, a frittata is an egg dish which can include everything but the kitchen sink. Our frittata had egg, spinach, bacon, cheese, and cherry tomatoes. OMG! So good! I watched her make it so hopefully this is something I can do on my own. She paired it with yogurt and berries. A great start to chemo day!

After chemo (will do a separate post about that), Cathy takes charge of the kitchen while I nap. When I woke up three hours later, I was greeted with a blackberry pie, quiche, pulled pork, cooked chickens and chicken stock for soup and who knows what else, and Granny's green beans. Note: Granny's green beans are the BEST and not everyone can pull them off like Granny; even though we all know the ingredients, somehow most of us just can't get it right. Well, I can't get it right.

There was also a mango salsa in the fridge to be paired with grilled salmon we are having Saturday night. I can't wait! Here are the pics of what I saw after nap (pics don't do it justice):

Quiche




Blackberry Pie


Chickens

Granny's Green Beans

Pulled pork






2 comments:

  1. Yummmm!! Tell Aunt Cathy that tax season is over so get her butt back to Houston. I mean ... I should probably taste test the menu before it’s approved for you. Right?

    ReplyDelete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...