Sunday, October 20, 2019

The Weekend (Not the Singer)



I handled chemo just fine on Friday. Saturday, we did a little of this and that. Cooking, shopping, potting plants, band watching.

Since we needed to get a few ingredients to finish up the chicken soups, we head to the store. Mike decided he needed some pots to replant his Aloe Vera plants, plus we wanted to look for a Halloween costume for Sam. This little jaunt to the store turned out to be a bigger deal than planned. Never mind. Mike got his new pots and I got some fall flowers for my front porch from my sister.

Cathy made two great soups/stews. A green chili chicken soup and a roasted corn chowder stew. OMG! Both are to die for! The first is nice and spicy, very flavorful. The second is great as well with a sweeter taste. Regardless, we left some back for the fridge and froze the rest. Mike and I easily have enough in the fridge to feed us the rest of the week, plus frozen pulled pork and soups. 

After dinner, Cathy and I head out to meet my daughter Nicole at the area UIL band competition. If you are a band parent, you know what I'm talking about. If not, you are missing a treat. The performances are based on a them and tell a story through music, the flag team, and some theatrics from the band members as well. There are some amazing performances. Check it out if you ever have the chance. These high school bands start practicing in August, adding more and more to their program leading up to UIL competition. If they get past area, then they head to regional, and, if they are part of the lucky few, they get to compete in State competition. It's a big deal.

We watched the end of the 6A group, then we saw the band we came to see. Remember the handsome freshman band member? Yeah, that group. His school scored a "1", qualifying them for regional competition in Pflugerville next Saturday. Guess where this granny is gonna be? We watched a few more bands before heading back to give my grandson a hug, tell him congrats, and head home. It was fun!

Sunday was a "stay at home" day. Do the boring, yet necessary stuff - laundry, dishes. There is a treat in there, though. Cathy decided to make a chocolate fudge pecan pie. Since I had a large bag of chocolate chips that expire at the end of the month. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies (probably one of my better batches, if I say so myself), leaving the rest for the pecan pie. I am in chocolate heaven on Sunday!

Cathy and I pull out the scrabble board. We used to play on Friday nights, years ago when she lived with me for a bit in Houston. We picked up where we left off. I ate her lunch! It was very satisfying.

Sam, our 90 pound chocolate lab, is entering the Action Pack Dog Halloween contest. He will be dressed as Nana's breast cancer support dog. We are still looking for a solid pink bandana. We had to test drive Sam's Halloween costume. That's code for "can we put this on him without him wanting to bite us". Sam isn't a biter, but wait til you see the costume; even you may agree he has reason to get a little testy. Doesn't he look cute? Can you tell we are bribing him with a cookie (I always make one little chocolate free cookie for him when making cookies).

I know doggie parents vote, but I don't know if it is open to the public. If it is, you can bet I will be posting the voting link here so y'all can help Sam take the prize!







No comments:

Post a Comment

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...