Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Wednesday - Chemo Prep Day

We were hoping PET scan would happen today. But, they couldn't get it scheduled until Thursday at 7 (UGH!!). Thank goodness! I need the time to get ready for chemo, talk to insurance, and get other things in order.

Lucky for me, my BC friend Jen is a wealth of information and one of the most caring, giving, inspirational people I know. She shared her "Cancer To Do List", which includes a lot of tips for surviving chemo. For me, this means shopping, either online or in the stores.

  • First, my hair will fall out in two weeks from Friday … guaranteed. So I need to be ready for that. I've heard that it actually hurts when the hair falls out. That's a "No" for me. Time to be proactive.
    • I contact my fabulous hair dresser to let her know that my cancer has come back (she cussed … I cussed … we both cussed) and that the great cut she gave me in September needs to go. I have an appointment Tuesday after work to get it buzzed. I will be a bald woman come Tuesday night.
    • I order the soft caps Jen recommended (she says my head will be tender)
    • I order some HooRags for another option. Check out Hoorags.com
    • Try on wigs - I bought four
      • Note to Charisse - I saw the cutest Dred locks but I could not pull off that look; so disappointed
  • Get supplements
    • I already have D, Calcium, Zinc, and Magnesium
    • Picked up B-12 and Tumeric Curcumin (I'm told it helps the chemo be more effective; I need most effective!)
  • Get lotions for hands and feet
    • I ordered from the company Jen recommended, Savannah Bee
  • Get heavy duty sunscreen, including lipbalm with sunscreen - check
  • Get a 1/2 gallon container for water and the powdered drink mixes to keep out the metalic taste - got it
  • Get Biotine mouthwash cuz Chemo does a job on the inside of your mouth - it took me two stores but I found it!
  • We have popsicles and something to transport them in
  • I forgot the memory foam neck pillow!! Back to the store
I think I'm ready! I am sure our Chemo class tomorrow afternoon will add more to the list. 

LET'S KILL THIS SUCKER!!

4 comments:

  1. Make sure you have topical lidocaine and you slather the area around your port at least 30 minutes before chemo. You can put it on and then put Saran Wrap over it to keep it from getting on your clothes. I forgot to do it one time, and trust me, I never forgot again. It helps to numb the area around the port so you won’t feel the needle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And take a cozy blanket. The room can be freezing sometimes and they can also give you heated blankets too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I picked up the prescription today!

      Delete
    3. My very sweet niece in Colorado made me a blanket and is working on a hat. I cant wait to make her blanket part of my chemo kit!

      Delete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...