Saturday, November 23, 2019

Seven Down, One to Go - Whoop!!

It's Chemo Day 7. Whoo Hoo!

As is typical with most Chemo days, I have what I call the breakfast of champions. No frittata today, but I did have quiche and berries. Yum! Get dressed, prep chemo bag, and we're off.

Mike dropped me off. Why? Because I have a new chaperone today - my daughter, Nicole! She needed to take the kiddos to school and the baby to day care before heading into Round Rock. After I check in, I went to check out all the silent auction items Texas Oncology has laid out; proceeds benefit the patients. When I turn around and head to my seat, someone starts walking towards me .. like they know me. Duh! It's my daughter. In my defense, she recently got her hair cut and recolored so it took me a few seconds. I'd blame it on chemo brain , but ….  Never mind; let's do that; let's blame it on chemo brain!

First off, let me just say, the place was an icebox! Dang, it was cold in there!! Luckily, I had a warm blanket (Did you see the pic? Isn't it gorgeous! And sooooo warm!). My niece Morgan made it for me.

Second, I am such a goober sending stuff from my phone to my blog. Nicole had to fix my mess. Thank you, Nic!! The blanket pic and the song were uploaded, per my request, by Nicole. It would have never made it without her help. You'd think being in IT I wouldn't be so technically challenged sometimes. It isn't true but let's blame that on chemo brain, too! In fact, I am officially putting everyone on notice that when I do or say something stupid or act the fool, it will be chemo brain, whether that's true or not. I'll just say "Chemo brain" or CB if I'm being lazy. Instead of giving someone "stink eye" it will be "chemo eye".

First, the guy came over and took my vitals, offered me a pillow and warm blanket. I'm good. I wish I knew his name. He typically works in the back room, but today he was in the thick of things in the main infusion room. My blood pressure was crazy; 168/whatever number. I asked him to take it again. Much better; 138/75. Not great, but much better. He was such a sweetie. I need to ask his name next time. Oh, who am I kiiding! I won't remember - chemo brain! Actualy, I suck at remembering names, but remember my new mantra ... chemo brain!

My nurse, Sarah, drew the short straw today. She kinda intimidated me. She is a no nonsense women and I am all kind of nonsense during chemo. She put the IV in, no pain at all. She flushes the port, draws blood, then starts the drip to keep my port nice and clear. Then off she goes.

Now this is when I typically start dancing .... while waiting on lab results to make sure chemo is still on for the day. But I just couldn't do it. Why? First, I was afraid Sarah would tell me I had to stop. Second, I didn't want to embarress my daughter. But the real kicker is I was facing the WRONG WAY! Sounds silly but I had never faced the back wall, always toward the front. Threw me for a loop ... a chemo loop. Brandy even stopped by and asked why no dancing? The ladies were looking forward to it. Turns out, I wouldn't have had too much time to dance. Sarah turned out to be a Rock Star and had labs back and drugs in hand within minutes. I was too harsh on Sarah. She was great and a delight to work with. Had me out of there in 2 hours, 15 minutes.

I enjoyed spending time with Nicole during chemo. We had fun reading some of Nash's corny jokes and memes. He is a master of finding silly memes. And new pics of Hazel. She is too cute!! Of course, I had to zone out for a bit  after the Benadry kicked in. I always fight it, but there comes a point where I just can't do it and I'm down for about 15 minutes or so.

True to form, after the Benadryl and steroids, here comes Papa Bear - Taxol! With Papa Bear comes the ice. Did I say I hate the ice? But I would hate neuropathy and black or no nails even more. Ice it is! I can only handle about thirty minutes or so before I need a 10-minute break. Perfect timing. My bladder was protesting all the fluids and was demanding more room. I listended to my bladder, gave her the room she needed, and headed back for the ice torture. Nicole had to help me get me feet and hands in the ice things. She goes "Dang! These are cold!". Yep!

11:15 and I am headed home. Nic and I stopped and picked up lunch and headed home. After lunch, the Benadryl kicked in again. I slept for three hours.

Next chemo day on Wednesday. Let's go out with a bang! Dancing back on, even if I am facing the wrong way. SUCK. IT. UP. BUTTERCUP.  I am thinking a head-banger and old time rock theme next week. If this doesn't make me look like a total goober, nothing will:
  1. Heart - Barracuda (gotta do air guitar on this one)
  2. Evanescence
  3. One Republic
  4. Phil Collins
  5. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
  6. Queen
  7. Doobie Brothers
  8. Styx
  9. Arrowsmith
"See" you next Wednesday!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...