Saturday, January 25, 2020

Chemo #16 + Insurance Fun

Once again, my blood levels are strong, or "perfect" as Hannah calls it. Chemo is definitely a non-event for me these days. No lasting side effects, no neuropathy, nothing. The doctor and PAs remain amazed at how well I am handling this chemo. Few handle this chemo as well as I am, especially this far along. I count my blessings! I am sure my time is coming, but for now, I am happy and feeling good!

No dancing time this round. They got my drug cocktail before I had a chance to dance! There is always next week. Anyway, another uneventful day at chemo.

After get up from my post chemo nap (the Benadryl), I open the mail and find out the insurance company denied the PET scan I have scheduled for 2/3. They want us to do a CT scan first. And get this, they are denying scanning the pelvic area in the CT. I called the third party that makes these decisions. My doctor's office is already filing an appeal. I called the doctor's office and told them I am filing an appeal as well with the insurance company. I am beyond irritated about this. I think I spent at least 2 hours on the phone Friday late afternoon voicing my displeasure. My argument is that the PET provides the same information as the CT, plus more … like if the cancer has spread anywhere, the concentration of the cancer (is the tumor dying?), etc. CT can't show that. I also voiced displeasure about having to take off two separate days. If they insist on the CT, which I still deem unnecessary, the let me do the CT and the PET at the same time so I don't have to take off more time from work. Plus, this will still provide the doctors the information they need to decide if we stay the course on Taxol or do we move on to something else, without me having to skip a chemo session. I don't want to give the cancer a chance to make a comeback while the insurance company decides what test I can have. I told them they need to make a definitive decision because this is something I will need probably every two to three months …. and I don't want to have this discussion every two to three months. 

In speaking with the insurance company, they only know I have metastatic breast cancer. They don't understand I have a tumor that is partially encasing my carotid artery … and this is something I will need to monitor the rest of my life. The location is what makes it dangerous and is what makes ongoing monitoring a must. I insisted they add this information to my file so we don't have to keep justifying tests necessary to monitor progress.

Frustrating is an understatement. I will be speaking to Dr. Koc's office again on Monday. I don't want to interfere in what they are doing, but to add pressure so we both get what we want. Hopefully, we will have an answer mid-week at the latest.

I am still debating on whether to file paperwork with IRO and possibly a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance (my employer). 

Friday afternoon was rough. I was near tears. I don't need the added stress of having to deal with this. Thankfully, I am healthy enough to fight that battle. That may not always be the case. I want to make sure they know who I am, my medical condition, and overall treatment plan so I don't have to repeat myself every couple of months.  

I will get over this hurdle. It just irritates me. It's bad enough to have a terminal disease where they can't give me a prognosis, other than I'd be dead in 8 months or less if I did nothing, without having to fight the insurance company for the testing and treatment I need to fight this battle. 

Sigh .... this too shall pass. Praying for patience and peace.

1 comment:

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...