Saturday, October 26, 2019

Chemo Day 3

Since it's Friday, it's CHEMO Day!

Today's chemo day started off with a little drama. Last week while prepping for chemo, Cathy and I were having trouble putting the lid back on the lidocaine (I put it on my port 1 hour before my chemo so it doesn't hurt when they stab me; I'm told the more lidocaine the better). It was messy. So Cathy and I decided to put the tube of lidocaine in a baggie and then put baggie and all back in the box. We haven't seen the lidocaine since. Needless to say, I was mildly panicked. Enter Project Manager.

Cathy and I searched everywhere, starting in the most logical places, the kitchen where we bagged it up, and my bathroom where it came from in the first place. We also looked in the most illogical places, like the refrigerator and freezer. You never know! We looked in every cabinet, every drawer , with no luck. I am convinced it will turn up sooner or later and we will all be flabbergasted on its location. Not deterred, I called Texas Oncology, explained the situation, and asked that they call in another prescription in time for me to pick it up and apply it an hour before my appointment. I am not a fan of pain. The nurse called me back; refill called in. I may need to pay regular price because it's too early for a refill. No problem - I am not a fan of pain. She advised I call HEB to advise I am okay paying full price and ask they fill immediately. Cathy and I change clothes, make sure my chemo bag is in order, give Sam his peanut butter bone, and head to the pharmacy. Sure enough, they had the lidocaine waiting. I applied it in the car and off we went to my chemo appointment. Crisis averted. To answer the unasked question, yes, I put the new tube of lidocaine in my medicine cabinet.

We were early today, but the receptionist let us go back to the infusion rooms anyway. Maybe we will finish early? I got checked in and assigned a chair. Here comes the nurse to draw blood to make sure blood levels and kidney and liver function are okay before starting the chemo. Next stop, the PA. We waited forever for the PA. Well, it felt like forever. I am not a patient person sometimes; well, most times. However, I make a conscience effort to keep negative energy from entering the universe on my behalf. I need ALL the good Karma I can get, so creating bad Karma is not okay.

I finally get in to see Rachel. This is a new PA to me, but I really liked her. Cathy and I asked a lot of questions. I asked specifically about the pathology report from my biopsy. The full details are still not in and/or posted to my chart yet. Not too happy about that, but pleasantly surprised by what Rachel relayed next: Dr. Kocs ordered a genetic test on the tumor. Not to determine if I have some gene that makes me more susceptible to cancer, but to determine the genetic makeup of the tumor(s) itself. This will help guide us in other treatment options. This information is due back in another week or so. I can't wait to see the results. I also asked for a copy of my MRI report and a copy of my actual PET scan. I should probably ask for a copy of the MRI as well so I can look at my bones (I have osteoporosis so this will give me a glimpse on how I'm doing in that area). I should be able to access these online or pick up copies at my next visit. This is where I also learn that I may never have issues with hair loss, low blood cell counts, or adverse side effects of Taxol. Everyone is different. So far, I am handling chemo quite well, the only concern is I need to drink more water, as my kidneys are showing signs of dehydration. That gallon of water a day is a struggle but necessary. PM hat on to determine the best way to ensure that happens. Water milestones throughout the day.

After we finish with Rachel, back to the infusion room. It wasn't long before the nurse showed up with the pre-taxol cocktail of Benadryl, anti-nausea stuff, and steroids. When that was done, she shows up with the Taxol. I ask if I have to take chemo lying down. Guess what? NO I DON'T! Dance party next session!! I even asked specifically if I could dance during taxol, even with iced feet and hands. The answer? "Yes you can and make sure you let me know". I think I may have others joining me! Whoop! Actually, I planned on bringing my headphones and my ipod today, but forgot them with the lidocaine drama. That's okay. Gives me another week to practice up on my best moves! Oh, we still finished by 2 PM. Impressive!

In short, I am doing quite well with this chemo stuff so far. Onward! Let's kick some cancer booty!!


1 comment:

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...