Sunday, November 3, 2019

Dr. Day, Plus Chemo #4

Friday = Chemo Day!  But first, we visit with Dr. Kocs.

Let me start by saying my blood pressure when I was in the office Thursday and Friday was very high, especially for this 120/70 girl. So much so that I made them take it again. On Friday, it weighed in at 160/100. Egad! This can stop the chemo session in its tracks. I've seen them turn patients away if their blood pressure was too high. What to do, what to do? I got a home blood pressure machine. I am suppose to take my blood pressure every morning and every night, log the results, and bring them in next week. So far, so good: 120/71 and 130/80. Note that last result may be user error. I am medical machine challenged.

Now on to the chat with Dr. Kocs. Dr. Kocs felt around my neck and left shoulder/pec area. He is very pleased that we have noticeable improvement with just three chemo sessions. The tumors are shrinking! Yay! He is also pleased that, so far, I am handling chemo quite well. I told him I still have my hair, just shaved it off a little earlier than maybe I should. Never fear, he says. I WILL lose my hair, but it may be more gradual. He says it will thin out, grow back, thin out more, grow back less, until nothing more to thin out and no growing back. No worries. I'm prepared with my hoorags, beanies, scarves, and wigs. I love that I have choices. Dr. Kocs also said my cancer has the same characteristics as before: estrogen/progesterone positive, HER2 negative, grade 2. This means a new hormone therapy could be in my future. Grade 2 means it is no more aggressive than it was at initial diagnosis. This is good news.

Next up, four more chemo sessions with the last one the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Then I do another CT scan early the following week before my Thursday, Dec 6th appointment with Dr. Kocs. This will be the big one folks! We will find out just how well the Taxol is working, how much the tumor(s) are shrinking (hopefully they are gone!), and next steps. I know my preference is that whatever we do will keep the monster away for 2 - 3 years before it rears its ugly head again.

After meeting with Dr, Kocs, I head over for chemo. First up, fluids. My kidneys want more fluids. So I am getting fluids through my port while we wait on test results. I am also dancing while waiting on test results. Who says I have to get my fluids laying down? Blood counts and kidney/liver function hanging tough, so we're on! I'm still dancing while they add the steroid drip to the mix. The dancing stops, though, when it's time for the Benadryl. Benadryl straight to the veins makes me loopy. After the Benadryl comes the Taxol and the ice bath for the feet and hands (I can only tolerate the ice for 20 minutes at a time before I need a little break). The ice protects my nails from turning black or possibly falling off from the chemo. It also helps protect against neuropathy. I'll take the cold over black nails and neuropathy any day.

So I mention that I danced for 30 minutes or more before Benadryl. My nurse loved it! The guy across from me laughed and told my husband he didn't realize he was getting a show with his chemo, and everyone else either glared at me or ignored me altogether. What a bunch of party poopers! Regardless, I am going to keep this up. It makes me happy and I get much needed exercise while I wait. It's a win/win as far as I'm concerned. Maybe some of these people will lighten up after a while!

Anyway, hubby got a video.  Don't judge!


7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are handling this as well as you are. Awesome news that the tumors are shrinking!!! Keep on dancing �� - Courtney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed I continue to do well. I dont slow down easily. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Get it girl!!!
    *whistles*
    You make my heart happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dancing. You are awesome and so inspiring. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So depressing there. I had to do something short of f lb. Washing to liven the place up. They will either tell me yo stop or others will get with the program. I hope for the latter.

      Delete
  4. F lb. Washing = flashing. Maybe I'll learn to text someday!

    ReplyDelete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...