Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Midnight Musings #2

Steroids are finally getting to me. I can't sleep - again! So, it's either a treat or a curse that I am back, rambling in the middle of the night. I asked my friend Jen, mother earth and knower of all things, if she had this issue way back when and is there a natural way to combat it. Lucky for me, or not depending on your view, Jen tried it all so I don't have to. Saved me a lot of time and frustration, not to mention even more sleepless nights, trying to find something natural that will help me sleep. For steroid induced insomnia, a sleeping pill is my best bet. 

To be fair, pre-MBC diagnosis, I've been known to be somewhat of an insomniac, sleeping no more than 5 hours a night. I ended up watching a lot of Dr. Phil. OMG the drama! Anyway, my primary doc, Dr. Zook, has been telling me about the necessity of me getting my 8 hours in. He is a huge proponent of a good night's sleep. Especially at my "age" and cancer history. So he prescribed non-addictive sleeping pills several months ago. I have barely touched them. My mission this weekend is to find the correct dosage for me. I can take from 1/2 up to 2 pills a night; the trick is to take enough to help me sleep for 8 hours without waking up feeling like a zombie. Fingers crossed!

I am putting together a notebook with ALL my test results. I want to be able to compare one scan to another, one blood test to another, as we progress through treatment. I plan on creating a spreadsheet which details all my blood tests so I can easily see differences from week to week. Who knows when this information will come in handy in the future. I can pull and print all my test results from the patient portal at Texas Oncology; sadly, I can't easily copy and paste blood work results from an html page into an excel spreadsheet without major cleanup. I will see if they can send it to me in an email or put them on a DVD. I also need to find a way to get the CT, PET, and MRI images. I know I don't have the expertise to "read" them correctly, but I have the corresponding write up. I'd like to see the gnarly, weird tumor (docs description, not mine) that I've named Voldemort. On my to-do list when I go in for chemo #6 on Friday.

Sounds like someone is trying to project manage their cancer treatment. Who could that possibly be?


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I just took sleeping pills when I needed them during chemo. Melatonin these days, but I felt like chemo called for the big guns. Some nights other meds I was taking for side effects (like nausea) helped because they were a little sedating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hate doing it but I don't have much choice. I was told by the PA that many use the nausea pills for insomnia. I have those too. Only took it once ... and yes, I was a bit loopy.

      Delete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...