Wednesday, December 4, 2019

PET Results

If you follow me on Facebook, then you know the overall PET results are good. Here are the key impressions:
  1. Overall a positive treatment response with decreased metabolic activity associated with nodal metastases in the left neck/supraclavicular region, mediastinum and left axilla
  2. Improved metabolic activity associated with the left pectoral lesion
  3. No new sites of disease identified
Here are some specific comparisons:

Lymph nodes:  Overall a positive treatment response in the left neck/supraclavicular, mediastinal and axillary nodal metastases. Most lesions have decreased metabolic activity while others remain relatively stable.

  • Left supraclavicular/lower neck bulky, infiltrative adenopathy
    •  32 x 25 mm; previously 41 x 33; SUV max 8.9 previously 10.3
  • Left axillary lymph node
    • 13 x 8 mm; previously 13 x 10mm; SUV max 4.3 previously 7.6
  • Superior mediastinal lesion
    • 6 x 6 mm; previously 14 x 10 mm; SUV max 5.9 previously 5.8
Note: I originally thought Voldemort hadn't changed much. I confused him with "someone" else; he has actually shrunk some; not as much as we need, but still shrinking. Whoop! Maybe I should name the other two. Maybe Lucius Malfoy for the left axillary and Worm Tail for the superior mediastinal. Suggestions anyone?

Improved metabolic activity associated with left intrapectoral lesion.
  • 13 x 10 mm, previously 19 x 14; SUV max 2.7 previously 11.7
Impressive! 

We still have more work to do. I have chemo every Friday through 12/27. I suspect a new PET after that, then discuss next steps for the new year.

Mike and I meet with Dr. Kocs Friday before chemo to discuss PET results. I know from the nurses that he is quite pleased. I will be bringing my blood test spreadsheet with me and ask which ones we really need to watch, what is a "stay away from crowds" level, and is there anything I can do to help keep my white and red blood cells in a healthy range, and minimize chemo damage to my other organs, especially my liver and kidneys.

Speaking of kidneys, the PET also says I have an atrophic left kidney; but a previous report said I have an atrophic right kidney. Which is it? We will discuss this as well. Plus what does it mean when it talks about FDG uptake? There was a statement about Physiologic FDG uptake in the bone marrow. What does that mean? Is it bad? Good? Something to watch?

Friday should be fun …. and informative. 

As Rachel Maddow says, "Watch this space".  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...