Thursday, December 26, 2019

Pre-Christmas Time with My Boys

I spent the last two weekends before Christmas with one grandson or the other. First up, David!

David had oral surgery on Friday the 13th. Since my daughter had her hands full as it is, Mike and I offered to let David recoup at our house. We have the time to spoil him, plus we can tag-team it, if need be. Since Friday is my chemo day anyway, Mike and I are home. 

Mike and I got back from chemo before David got to the house post surgery. He was a bit groggy, as one would expect. We put him to bed, complete with ice packs to minimize swelling. David and I both slept most of the afternoon. I left David with the "sick bell" that he could ring in case he needed anything. That bell got a workout over the weekend. Always for food!

By Saturday, David was doing well. There were no signs, other than staying on soft foods, that this boy had surgery the day before. So what do we do? Head to the fabric store and pick up supplies so David can make his family pillows for Christmas. While we were there, I picked up extra fabric, some great remnants, and extra batting (surprise Christmas present for my little sewer).

Anyway, we spent the next two days sewing pillows, stuffing pillows, and wrapping pillows. My contribution was mostly financial (supplies), but I also stitched up the hole we left open to stuff the pillows. I helped wrap the presents and tie them up with a bow. David was the bus driver on this project; I was just his assistant. Here is David with his finished products:















Fast forward one week plus a couple of days, and I get an overnight visit from oldest grandson, AJ. AJ is at the house to make a variety of cookies for his family for Christmas. Again, my contribution is mostly financial and to help wrap. AJ is the bus driver. Note: AJ and I have been baking together for at least 13 years. It's what we do.

First up is shopping for ingredients. We needed to put our math skills to work to determine how many eggs, butter, chips, and containers we would need for the finished product. After that little chore was done, we ate dinner, then got busy making cookies. 

AJ made 5 different types of cookies:
  1. Regular chocolate chip
  2. Peppermint and white chocolate chip
  3. Peppermint and Semi-sweet chocolate chip
  4. Lemon and white chocolate chip
  5. Chocolate and peanut butter chip
When all was said and done, AJ made over 160 to 170 cookies. That includes cookies for everyone  in his family plus extras.  A great time was had by all.

Between pillows and cookies, I was worn out by Christmas Eve! Both boys are very proud of their efforts to make something for their families. I see a new tradition forming here. Next year I need to find projects for Katie and Grant, then when she's older, Hazel. Looking forward to next year's projects!

Here are pictures of my little baker, pre and post baking. I neglected to get a picture of David and his pillows; his Mom will send me one before the weekend is out and I will update this post.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...