Sunday, February 2, 2020

Strong? Brave? It's a Facade!

I have been told by many how "strong" I am, how "brave" I am. The truth is, it's all a façade!

It's true that I chose not to dwell on my cancer and the unseen dangers that lurk beneath my skin. What's the point? It won't change anything. I try to live my life as close to pre-diagnosis as possible. But deep down, I'm scared to death! I can't see or feel the one tumor that will probably kill me if we can't get a handle on him or keep him in check. So when I hear that the insurance company is denying the best test to monitor my cancer, it is unsettling and upsetting, to say the least.

Then, I call to reschedule my follow-up appointment with Dr. Kocs to discuss results of the CT (not the PET we requested) so I wouldn't have to wait 10 days, I was told there is no space available, there is no waiting list, and the nurse will NOT call me if they get a cancellation. I will have to call the doctor's office several times a day to see if something opened up. I LOST IT! Started crying .... no bawling .... uncontrollably. 

To top it off, after that phone call I see a meeting invite about a project I asked for, where my manager and the new team leads (we just had a re-organization in IT, causing some anxiety on its own) want to discuss THEIR vision of the project. Considering I have a good handle on the project and I am heavily engaged, this hit me wrong .... very wrong. Total basket case now. I felt like the rug was getting pulled out from under me on all fronts. 

This just added to my crying, no bawling, jag. It lasted almost an hour. I was able to pull it together just minutes before a meeting with my business team on another project. Sadly, I still could not talk about the scans and having to wait 10 days to discuss results without getting emotional for at least two days. 

See? I am really mush underneath the brave face I put on for the world. It is a facade! Every cancer patient knows this. But the lay person doesn't want to see.


4 comments:

  1. My shoulders are always open for a good cry. I love you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. Thanks. My meltdown was a surprise to me. Since then, the PA will discuss test results with me on Tuesday. She agrees that 10 days is too long to wait.

    ReplyDelete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...