Sunday, February 2, 2020

Who is the Chemo Rock Star?








Chemo #17 is on the books!  Once again, my blood levels continue to hang tough. Hannah still calls them "perfect". I asked if they see others that are handling Taxol as well as I am.  The answer is a resounding "NO"! Can you explain it? NO! Hannah asks if I live a healthy lifestyle. Not really, but I am not necessarily unhealthy either. However, in general I am healthy. I don't get sick. I get cancer …. but I don't get sick. That has to be it because there really is no rhyme or reason why I am doing so well. Shut up, girl! Don't question it, just be thankful things are going so well. Many others are not as fortunate! 




Hannah and I also discuss insurance and their denial on the PET. Sadly, this is nothing new to them but very, very frustrating. They don't look at the individual, but only at an algorithm. Any help they can get from the patient is appreciated. Since I will have to do scans the rest of my life to monitor Voldemort, it is important that the insurance companies are looking at ME and MY CANCER! It is critical, even life threatening (from the docs, not from me but I agree), for me to get the proper scans so we can determine the best treatment options throughout this journey.

I told Hannah that the scan was this afternoon (Friday). She confirmed that I have an appointment with Dr. Kocs on 2/10 to review results and discuss treatment. I told her I tried to move it up since my scan was on Friday but there were no appointments available and the nurse will not call me if there is a cancelation. I told her I cried (cried is an understatement - I bawled; more about my meltdown in another post). Awwww! Hannah was so sweet. She agreed that 10 days is a long time to discuss test results. Hannah told me we should see the results by Monday or Tuesday. She will be happy to discuss the results with me. SHE GETS IT!! For a cancer patient, waiting a day is excruciating. Multiply that times 10 … the anxiety is through the roof. I am definitely taking her up on her offer. 

Later in the day, I had a CT scan, not the PET we requested, but the CT they approved. Note: If they see something on the CT that they think warrants a PET, then they will approve (more money, another day off … where does this make sense?!). In and out in 15 minutes. Now we wait! Ugh!!

BTW - I'm not done fighting this. I will meet with a co-worker on Monday to discuss strategy. I have an expert that offered to help with the fight. I can't have this battle every two to three months. I am healthy now and have the energy. There may come a day when I don't have the energy to fight it.

This is MY LIFE, dammit!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...