Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Can We Get A Break?

I finally had my baseline ultrasound done Monday afternoon. That was an experience. The technician had a difficult time finding Voldemort or anything of substance. I am afraid my "out of the box" idea is not going to work this time. Funny how ultrasound led us to Voldemort in the first place …. but now they can't find him. Trust me, it doesn't mean he isn't there. Sadly, he is not in a place where I can feel him. My fears were realized when I read the results … "Ill-defined conglomerate lymph node mass in the left supraclavicular region is not well evaluated with ultrasound". They didn't even try to find any of the other tumors in my neck. So frustrating!

Great!  Now what? Insurance is certainly not going to pay for a CT or PET every month. I will need to come up with another plan. No one else is throwing out ideas. I think my best bet, short term, is to become intimately aware of the tumor or two I CAN feel. I need to find a way to "measure" what I can feel. For example, I can feel the tumor under my left arm. I can also feel the thickness in my left upper chest. Do I log my impressions every week? The tumor under my arm is feeling more squishy (is that even a word?) than it did last week, which would indicate this one is shrinking or breaking up as a result of the chemo. But it is? This is where the "intimate" awareness comes in. It will have to do until we come up with another plan to monitor my cancer.  Sigh ….

Ready for more great news? I am finally experiencing side effects of the chemo. Chemo brain is one … this is real folks and not at all fun. Struggling to come up with a word or remembering a conversation I had the day before is maddening. I need to start recording my meetings and writing everything down. And I mean everything. Maybe I need to find a little pouch that I can "wear" to hold pad and pen so I am always prepared to jot stuff down, regardless of where I am. Or maybe a mini-tape recorder? Ugh! I hate it that I even have to think about strategies to deal with this.

My blood levels are also dropping, after only two weeks of the new treatment. I was hoping my charmed life on Taxol would carry over to the Ibrance. I know the odds were not in my favor, but a girl can dream, right? Here are the results for the last three blood tests:
  •  February 14th (Started new chemo)
    •  White blood cell count = 6.7 in a range of 4.8 - 10.8
    • Red blood cell count = 3.9 in a range of 4.2 - 5.4
    • Neutrophil (ANC) = 4.2 in a range of 1.5 to 6.5
  • February 21:
    • White blood cell count = 4.8 in a range of 4.8 - 10.8
    • Red blood cell count = 4.13 in a range of 4.2 - 5.4
    • Neutrophil (ANC) = 3.0 in a range of 1.5 to 6.5
  • February 28:
    • White blood cell count = 3.3 in a range of 4.8 - 10.8
    • Red blood cell count = 3.81 in a range of 4.2 - 5.4
    • Neutrophil (ANC) = 1.6 in a range of 1.5 to 6.5
This is the drop in only two weeks on Ibrance. The PA told me I am not exactly at "stay away from crowds" levels as long as I am diligent and aware of people around me:
  • Wash my hands frequently
  • Use tissues or gloves to open doors
  • Use hand sanitizer frequently
  • Wipe down surfaces with Lysol or similar products
  • Avoid cuts and scrapes (no mani/pedis- too risky)
  • Stay away from anyone coughing or sneezing
  • Call the office immediately if I run a fever of 100.5 or higher
Basic common sense stuff. I was warned, however, that if levels get much lower, the doctors will insist I isolate myself until levels improve. No crowds, work from home if its an option or don't work at all. This is probably why Ibrance is only taken for three weeks, then one week off before starting again. We need to give my body a chance to recover and build up my blood cell counts again to minimize the risk of infection. I wonder if they will give me something to help blood counts recover?

Physically I still feel okay. I think I may be slowing down a step or two during my walks, but I continue to walk Sam everyday. I've noticed Sam is being a sweetie and slowing his cadence to mirror mine. Typically, Sam's pace is a great cardio workout for us in the mornings.

Honestly, I am fearful of not moving in some form or fashion. True or not, I feel that as long as I continue to put one foot in front of the other, continue to walk, continue to dance, then I have a fighting chance. If I stop, I may not be able to start again. Silly, right?


1 comment:

  1. Not silly at all. It's what you can control and that is important. They make great mini recorders that can hold a lot and would be easy to use. Challenge would be finding the exact conversation you are looking for!

    Love you tons

    ReplyDelete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...