Saturday, July 4, 2020

You Should Be Dancing


You Should Be Dancing - Bee Gees

Those that have been following this blog, know that dancing makes me happy, keeps me sane during the crazy called cancer, and provides a form of exercise and personal entertainment during chemo. Check out the following video! Sent to me by a childhood friend via Facebook. Couldn't be more fitting!

Me During Chemo

Speaking of chemo, I started my new treatment on Thursday. Whee!! I am now on Eribulin in three week cycles: infusion on Friday for two weeks, then a week off. Rinse and repeat. 

I had no idea what to expect so I bring my chemo bag: socks for hands/feet in case we ice them, blanket cuz it is cold in there, charged phone so I can play games or listen to music, lip balm, hand lotion, hand sanitizer (Covid), my mask (Covid), water, wallet, and keys. I found I can probably leave most of it at home next time. Good! That sucker was a bit on the heavy side.

Chemo was uneventful. The ladies and gents still know who I am …. by name. I AM the chemo dancing queen, after all! I got a nurse I've had many times. She saw me and says "You're with me, Ms. Bishop" without me saying a word. First up, labs. Then I am off to see Hannah, my favorite PA.

Hannah brought in a new PA who was shadowing her. She introduced me as the chemo queen. That's right! I have continued to amaze the docs with blood levels, lack of side effects, etc. I did learn something new, but longtime suspected. Metastatic Lobular Carcinoma is difficult to treat. It is sneaky, resilient, and likes to have it's way with you. Mine is doing a pretty great job so far. Does that mean an automatic death sentence? Absolutely not! It just means we may have to go through several treatment options before we find something that works longer than 3 or 4 months. I am up to the challenge!

Back to infusion. I asked my nurse what is the process on this treatment. Twenty minutes of steroids, then anti-nausea push, then chemo push. The chemo push is about the size of a quarter inch in the syringe … small but provides a powerful punch; they push it slow, takes up to five minutes. I told my nurse I would not be dancing today because I wasn't sure about timing, what to expect, etc. Now I know …. I can get in 20 minutes! I also told my nurse that I post a cancer fight song for every chemo session, this week being the theme from Rocky:


I told her next week will be "Eye of the Tiger". So what does she do? Plays "Eye of the Tiger" for me while doing the chemo push! Made my day!!

After I am done with chemo, I am off to the Pharmacy for new anti-nausea meds. At first, I turned them down; I have a whole bottle that I've rarely used (twice in 9 months). My nurse encouraged me to get the new meds; they melt on your tongue and work quickly. The pharmacist told me I can take the new meds and if they aren't working, I can take my existing meds about 30 minutes later. OMG! Is this an omen of things to come? I told Dr. Kocs to give me something powerful …. without killing me. I asked for it!

Here is a list of the most common side effects from my new chemo:
  • Risk of infection, includes fever and chills, painful urination, soar throat, cough or shortness of breath, stuffy or runny nose, swelling or redness of a wound, or changes in skin color
  • Neuropathy or nerve problems, includes numbness in hands and feet, muscle cramps, loss of balance, less feeling of heat or cold in fingertips and toes, trouble hearing (hehe …. now I have an excuse!)
  • Hair loss in about four weeks or so; I don't think I will dodge the hair loss bullet this time around
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Constipation
One of the less common side effects is loss of appetite. Believe it or not, I am already having that, along with the metallic taste in my mouth. Possible mouth sores, too. I have my mouth rinse my friend Jen said I would need at some point. I think we are there. I was also feeling nauseous yesterday and again this morning. Not enough to take meds (yet), but enough to pay attention.

It's gonna get real, folks!!

My next appointment is Friday, July 10. I WILL be dancing during the steroid drip next week! Should have my new dancing shoes by then (my new keds). One of the pairs I ordered is called "Happy Stripes". It fits my happiness mission these days.  Here is a picture:



Aren't they cute? They are screaming my name! I get them Tuesday!

I will post PET results before the weekend is out. I need to update my bloodwork spreadsheet as well as my tumor tracking spreadsheet first. See what project management does to a cancer patient? Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. Damn straight. Once I get my new happy stripes, cancer is in major trouble!!

    ReplyDelete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...