Monday, October 7, 2019

The Nuts and Bolts

Mike and I met with Dr. Kocs today to go over the diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and general questions. Here are the basics:
  • I have Metastatic Breast Cancer; Stage 4
  • It is not curable but it is manageable
  • 4.5 centimeter tumor contained in a lymph node in my neck 
    • No surgery because of its location and structures involved
    •  We need to shrink, then kill it as soon as possible, again due to structures involved
  •  Full pathology report is not in yet, but he suspects the tumor makeup will be the same when I was first diagnosed - grade 2, E/P+, HER2- 
    • This is good; it means after chemo, new hormone treatment is possible
  •  Prognosis is a crap shoot; could be 2 months, could be 20 years
    • We're shooting for the 20 years :)
  •  Treatment:
    •  Eight weeks of chemo (Taxol) to start
    • Targeted therapy (radiation) after chemo is possible to make sure we kill all the nasty cancer cells in the neck; don't want to revisit this area - ever!
    • There are a whole slew of treatment options available to us, including immunotherapy, once we shrink and kill the monster in my neck
  • Diet or lifestyle changes?
    • No science to back it up 
    • Would recommend a dietician if I needed to lose weight that could be inhibiting treatment
  • Supplements?
    • CBD Oil - legal; okay to use but not as a substitute. However, use caution in that it could impact how the chemo works; most patients use if for anxiety
    •  Frankincense - again, no science behind it.
  •  The party starts ... NOW!! Translation - its getting real very quickly
Not great news, not catastrophic news. It's just news. Surprisingly, we are okay; we are at peace. I am hanging my hat on "My faith is stronger than my fear". Let go and let God. 

Bring it!!

1 comment:

  1. Bring it on! Let me know if you need me to send you some edibles :)

    ReplyDelete

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...