Sunday, October 3, 2021

Rise Up

Cover of Rise Up by Andra Day Mother and son duo; Jordan Rabjohn and Katherine Hallam 

I do not own the rights to this inspirational saying

I do not own the rights to this music. If you haven't heard this version, my only question is "what rock have you been living under"?  I LOVE this version of this song! Such an inspirational song, one I listen to when I need a little push to keep going.


The title of this post is more a nod to the song and it is somewhat related to what I want to convey, but not as evident as in other titles I've selected to provide a hint of what's to come. Ready? 

Everything you wanted to know about breast cancer but are afraid to ask

  1. There are many different types of breast cancer and they can present themselves in a variety of ways
    • Lump
    • A thickening of the breast
    • A "sheet"
    • Dimpling
    • Discoloration
    • Rule of thumb, if there is a difference, get it checked out, even if you just had a mammogram
  2. Men can also get breast cancer, so check the pecs guys!
  3. Be your own advocate or find someone who can be an advocate on your behalf
  4. Find a support group
    • Breastcancer.org is a great place for information and support from others going through the same thing
    • The American cancer society is another great resource
    • Many cities have local support groups that can help
  5. Breast cancer contained in the breast typically doesn't hurt
    • Once the cancer spreads to other organs it can be a different story
  6. There is no cure
    • This is a statement my oncologist told me from day one
    • 5 years later, with no recurrence, I was deemed "cured"
      • When I questioned that statement, my doctor modified that to remission
    • Although there is technically no cure, many women enter remission and never experience a recurrence, hence "cured"
  7. Not everyone loses their hair when they go through chemo
    • I was told I would start losing my hair at about the 4 week mark, so I took matters into my own hands and shaved my head; I ruined a cuter than cute hair style to have some semblance of control over my cancer
    • I had one chemo that caused my hair to thin (it looked like "snow failing" when I dried my hair); but I have yet to reach baldness because of chemo
    • My advice? Wait until your hair really starts falling out, then head to the barber
      • Bald can be beautiful, especially accented by a cute bow
  8. Not everyone knows that metastatic breast cancer means this disease will eventually kill me
    • Someone told me once "well, at least your cancer is not terminal" 
    • Tell that my cancer
  9. Maintaining weight is important
    • Almost all chemo treatments have side effects which can cause weight loss (such as severe nausea, diarrhea)
    • Weight loss will impact your strength, your stamina; both are needed to battle cancer
    • Many advances have been made where these side effects can be controlled by medication
  10. Keep moving
    • It is important that you do some form of exercise everyday. This goes hand in hand with weight loss and maintaining strength and stamina
    • Short walks are okay
    • I've done chair exercises on days when I didn't have the strength or stamina to do more
    • Any type of movement counts
    • Consider dancing!
  11. Chemo poop stinks
    • Trust me on this one
  12.  Chemo is not always an infusion
    • Most chemos are given via an infusion
    • Some chemo comes in pill form; in fact, some of the most powerful drugs are in pill form
    • My current treatment is available in both; I am taking the pills
  13. Metastatic treatment is not a sprint, it's a marathon
    • I will be in treatment at some form for the rest of my life
  14. Cancer is not an automatic death sentence
    • Although my cancer may eventually kill me, I am doing everything I can to stick around as long as I can.
    • Medical advances are happening all the time
  15. Miracles DO happen
    • I have experienced at least one "in your face" miracle and then another but more subtle
  16. Hope is a must
    • Once you lose hope, you've lost the war
  17. Attitude matters
There are more, but I think these are the high points. 

Stay tuned. I am checking out recent medical breakthroughs that I hope pan out in clinical trials. 

Need someone to talk to? I'm here! Shoot me an email RavVicki@gmail.com.


3 comments:

 The End of the Road All - Vicki Jo Bishop passed away on February 25, 2022 after a multi-year battle with metastatic breast cancer. She was...